Monday, June 8, 2009

Simplicity is Key.

For my first post, I see fit that I post the simplest of my staples: arugula salad with sauteed mushrooms and zucchini. I eat this salad every week without fail. Living in New York City and working 10 hour days in the office, does not allow for much time to cook epic dinners for yourself every night. Not to worry! The ingredients in this salad are minimal and can be picked up at any local market -- 3 minutes, in and out!

This salad is extremely light; it actually makes me feel healthier.
After indulging, you aren't left feeling tired and full, you will be delighted and satisfied. Lemons are the key ingredient for the fresh taste and they make for a great salad dressing. The acidity brings out the flavors in the vegetables and gives it a pure taste. This light dressing of olive oil and lemon juice is an extremely healthy alternative to the bottled salad dressing, filled with sugar and lots of chemicals.

Ingredients:

Serves 2 (I have an incredible appetite)

4 Handfuls Baby Arugula
1 Zucchini, sliced about 1/4" thick and cut into half moons
10 Baby Portabella Mushrooms, sliced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
Sesame Seeds (optional)

Dressing:
4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of Half a Lemon, a whole if you are obsessed with citrus like myself
A couple shakes of Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
**Please note: there is no pepper like fresh ground pepper.

In a saucepan, heat oil. Add zucchini and season with little salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes, until becoming slightly opaque. Add mushrooms. Cook with zucchini for 5 minutes until both are slightly soft. Turn off burner and mix in soy sauce. Let sit.

In a large salad bowl, place arugula. Add all ingredients for dressing. Toss well. Place mushrooms and zucchini atop arugula and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Eat and enjoy.

Can be served with your favorite loaf of bread.

7 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm obsessed with zukes and make them almost every night. Interesting addition of the soy to the 'shrooms. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly the best salad i've ever had. I could eat it everyday. Amazing, finally something thats soooo healthy but soooo delicious! Holla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How in tarnation did we both magically decide to create blogs so close together?! we are like one! yesss

    I'm followinnng you! (I think? Still new to the blog world lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love zuchi anything, it gives me the feeling of eating healthy.. thats what I blog about all the time! :)
    Your pic looks so healthy and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely salad with zucchini!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I am a hater of mushrooms, I am going to try out this recipe! Sounds delicious...maybe switch out the mushrooms with some squash!! will let you know the results...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I decided to look at the blog because who could resist that picture of Ryan and Evan up top!!! But I am very excited to try this salad as i have some fresh garden zucchinis that i want to try something new with!

    ReplyDelete