Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Life & Seaweed Salad

So, I'm making big changes in my life and finally following my heart and passions. It feels wonderful. I recently rekindled a wonderful relationship with a beautiful soul, Danielle DeAngelo, after a 10 year hiatus in our friendship. It must have been fate because we literally have the same dreams.

Last month I enrolled in a Clinical Nutrition and Holistic Health Program - which Danielle has almost completed - at the Academy of Natural Health Sciences in Woodbridge, NJ. It's perfect; I'll learn everything from advanced nutrition, herbology and homeopathy to sports nutrition and healing psychology. I am beyond excited.

Anyway, in the first lesson I learned that seaweed is one of the healthiest things we can eat. Lucky me... I LOVE seaweed salad, but had never made my own. Why? I don't know. Seaweed contains so many important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, B-vitamins, vitamin C, iron and potassium. It's been shown to cleanse the body of toxic pollutants. Sweet - I should be eating this every day.

How foolish I have been not to make it sooner. It couldn't possibly be easier.

Here's how it goes:

Ingredients:
1 package dried wakame seaweed (can be whole or cut - mine was cut)
6 tbsp rice wine vinegar
6 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp Asian sesame oil
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
half a cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
sesame seeds for garnish

Wakame Seaweed, purchased at Whole Foods

Soak wakame in warm water covered for about 5 minutes. Drain then squeeze out excess water. If the wakame is not cut, cut it into thin slices.

In a separate bowl, stir together the vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Poor dressing over the wakame and mix to combine well. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with cucumber slices, like so....


So good and so healthy.

Please do try this. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this was the best seaweed salad I've ever had. It didn't have that overly chewy texture I was used to or get stuck in my teeth at all. It was perfection.

Enjoy!

Love,
CaraLee.

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! A new recipe to try! I'm intimidated by seaweed too and not something I ever think to make myself- thanks for the encouragement that it CAN be done at home.

    So happy that you are following your heart and passion- you can't go wrong in life if you do that! Best of luck.

    xo
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try this, thanks a lot! =D

    ReplyDelete